- Reporting to Director General and working in collaboration with other directorates,
- The position holder shall contribute to the formation and implementation of overall NMK policies and strategic planning for the development and expansion of Museums Sites and Monuments;
- Setting conservation standards and practices for the Museums Sites and Monuments;
- and the development of the public programmes which include exhibitions education and other outreach programmes and community links.
- The officer will also be required to liaise with Director of Research with a view to promoting relevant research and disseminating research information to the public in their respective regions;
- Promote National/International institutional partnerships with relevant stakeholders related to public programmes and heritage conservation management;
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of the staff and of the team working with the directorate.
- The officer, in liaison with the heads of stations in various regions and the Director of HR and Administration will ensure effective staffing and staff development;
- provide leadership and support to regional heads, Nairobi Museum and the coordinators of public programmes and physical planning;
- Account for and co-ordinate the planning of activities in the directorate; administer, allocate, and be accountable for the resources allocated from the directorate’s budgets to the regions and Nairobi Museum; and liaise with the Director General and legal office on legal issues relating to museums, sites and monuments.
- The officer will further, in collaboration with various directorates and in line with NMK policy and standards stimulate and take active part in the fundraising efforts and support and monitor the development of revenue generation in the Museums Sites and Monuments;
- Advise and coordinate proposal writing and grant applications linked to the Directorate of Antiquities, Sites and monuments; ensure effective internal communication and flow of information within the directorate and with other directorates and Director General’s office;
- Promote networking and exchanges between the NMK regional units and the National Museum of Kenya;
- Promote National/International institutional partnerships with the relevant stakeholders related to public programmes and heritage conservation management;
- Maintain quality control of all outsourced services in relation to the directorate’s activities.
- The position holder will moreover perform any other relevant duties as assigned from time to time.
The applicant must :
- Have served in the grade of a Assistant Director, National Museums, Sites and Monuments or a comparable position in a reputable organization
- Be in possession of a Masters Degree in a relevant scientific field of study plus seven years experience in a reputable organization
- Have demonstrated high administrative and leadership skills.
Salary and benefits attached to the position:
Basic salary scale: 147,907-220,142; entry scale 147,907
Outpatient medical allowance: 2,500
Leave allowance: 15,000
House allowance: 60,000
Commuter allowance: 16,000
Entertainment allowance: 8,000
Responsibility allowance: 15,000
Inpatient medical: The position holder will be entitled to inpatient medical benefits as per the existing inpatient medical scheme to cover him/her, the spouse and four children under the age of 25 years.
Duty station: Director Museums, Sites and Monuments will be based at NMK headquarters in Nairobi.
Terms of service: Three (3) years renewable contract renewable once subject to performance.
Qualified and interested applicants may apply enclosing a detailed resume, certified copy of current pay slip, certified copies of academic and professional certificates plus testimonials, names and addresses of 3 referees (including their telephone contacts and emails). The applications should be addressed to: Director General, National Museums of Kenya, P.O. Box 40658-00100, Nairobi, Kenya so as to be received not later than 16th April, 2021.
Applicants are required to submit their applications alongside clearances from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission, Kenya Revenue Authority, Directorate of Criminal Investigation, Credit Reference Bureau and Higher Education Loans Board.
“NMK is an equal opportunities employer”.